Monday, April 25, 2011

Shamelessly Stolen

Sometimes you see a topic being discussed and just want to piggy back onto it and in this case the Gold Capped article on Thursday goes nicely with my auction house post from Friday. Whether you are a new player, new to a faction, or just not well off there are tips there that you can make use of. While reading comments can be a scary proposition I suggest perusing the comments on this one, because you will find additional tips.

The main take away from the article is that if you aren't starting with a good amount of gold then you should probably start off picking up a gathering profession. I'm going to make my own recommendations based on my recent experience leveling new characters up on the horde side.

I was able to support leveling my own profession, buying my spells and glyphs as I leveled without any money other than what I looted from mobs, and gleaned from the auction house. My first professions were tailoring and enchanting. As I leveled my warlock I would disenchant greens I picked up if they weren't upgrades, and disenchanted my gear as I outgrew it. For the most part I didn't try to sell any early enchants because I couldn't afford the investment into parchments for something that might not sell. If I no longer needed a level of enchanting mat (or cloth) I would sell those on the auction house. I refused to return to my pack rat ways of stashing them in my bank for a just in case that never comes.

You will have to check the prices on your realm, but a good way to pick up a few extra silver might be to deal in strange dust. Especially when your disenchants are still netting you strange dust and you are regularly visiting your enchanting trainer you might find that you can turn a tidy profit by buying strange dust off the supply vendor and reselling it on the AH. My goblin was able to buy them for 6s each (usually 4 at a time) and they would sell for 90s on the AH. While that isn't mega gold, it is a handy amount of money at lower levels, and pretty much risk free. I don't find it to be worth my while any longer, but I did do it for a long time.

Once your character is approaching level 85 you shouldn't have a hard time getting money. Quests offer good money and any gear you vendor is added cash icing on that cake. But for really good profit margins I'd have to agree with Gold Capped that gathering and selling the materials people need for skilling up their own skills is a good way to go. Some of these older materials sell for as much or more than Cataclysm level mats, and there can be less competition for them.

As I level my death knight I've been mining and leveling jewelcrafting. I intend to make her an engineer too, so I've been saving materials to level that, which means I've had less leftovers than if I were going to continue being a miner into the forever. Once my jewelcrafting is up to 525 and I have the materials saved to get engineering to 525 I will make the switch. If I made a planning mistake, or things go poorly I may end up having to buy some materials, but between the money I've already made and the flow of money by level 85 I'm not concerned. I certainly won't go into debt trying to level it up the way I might if I didn't have these piles of bars and rocks filling up my bank.

Mining was extremely profitable in that it took hardly any time to gather piles and piles of ore, and they sold well on the auction house (except for iron) until I went to Outlands. I have seen a lot fewer nodes, I think just because the zones are so large, and I've seen more people in the zone with me. I'll let you know if anything changes once I make it to Northrend.

No comments:

Post a Comment