Monday, April 18, 2011

Altoholics Anonymous

It's not very anonymous to announce it here on a public blog is it? But I like the turn of phrase so I'm going to let it stand. I'm also too busy enjoying the nice weather and sunshine today to be overly concerned about it. Not to mention I just caught my son trying to drink the bubble solution so my attention is a little divided at the moment.

There are almost as many ways to play World of Warcraft as the number of players. How's that for an exaggeration? Sheer number wise I think it's inaccurate, but there are very many different styles of play. For instance my husband has leveled a few alts, though only has 2 characters that are level 85. He primarily plays one single character. It was the first character he ever made, and I guess he picked well because he has been faithful. I on the other hand have always tried to level multiple alts, even if there is one that is my focus in the end game I have several others at various levels.

Isuppose we should briefly discuss the definition of Alt. In World of Warcraft you can currently create 10 characters on a single server. Most people have one of those slots filled by a character that they play more than the others. Whether this is your favorite or your highest level, this character is usually referred to as being a Main; It being the character that you mainly play. All other characters, by this definition are alternatives to the main, and are commonly referred to as Alts.

I love reading about the different classes and trying to learn how to play most of them. There are a couple that I haven't managed to fall in love with, but leveling is so easy now that it's almost hard for me not to keep leveling new alts. Anyone who played back in Vanilla (before any of the expansions had been released) knows that leveling has never been faster, or less painless.

I have no idea at the moment which character should be considered my main. All 10 character slots are filled. One is a character that I created with my nephew that I only play with him. One is a sad little character who's only lot in life is to be a bank alt until the day she is deleted. There are a few that have leveled a bit and then stalled months ago. Then there are my 3 level 85 characters (alliance), one of which is geared up to enter raid content, and a level 84 (horde) that could be level 85 in one night if I tried. Meanwhile I've been playing a death knight any time that I have a little time to log on that has only made it to level 62 (also horde).

Part of my problem is that the guild I was in alliance side kind of died towards the end of the Wrath cycle, and although there was a brief rally with the onset of Cataclysm the core of the guild seems to have burnt themselves out and left a ragtag group of casual players without much of a guild logging on. Since I wasn't willing to raid 4 nights a week I never got to go much, and while the raiders were off raiding the guild was so quiet and lonely I made a little goblin warlock just to goof around and enjoy some new-old content. I managed to find a really friendly guild that let me join and now I find myself playing my horde characters more than my alliance ones.

My alliance rogue was my first character. My alliance warrior was my first character to make it to the end game in Vanilla, and I mostly played that character in BC. In Wrath I decided to level my mage, and that was my main. I loved burning it up with fire, but never played consistently enough to get to raid level. As I read about Cataclysm content I became intrigued with the changes that had already been made to rogues, as well as what was to come. I leveled my rogue up quickly from 50 to 80 and got into some Wrath heroics before Cata was released.

Up until my alliance guild faded I would have considered the rogue my main. I feel a bit rudderless at the moment. I suppose if it were free I would probably move my rogue to horde side and try to raid with it as my main. I do like my rogue a lot, but I find it depressing to log on and be the only one in the guild online. One of the first questions I get when talking to other WoW players is, "What's your main?" What do you say if you don't have one?

No comments:

Post a Comment