Thursday, May 12, 2011

On Trolling and Trolls

The other night I finally convinced my husband to log on to the WoW and give the new/revamped Zuls a shot. He had of course done them into the ground back when they were relevant content, but he had only logged on for a matter of minutes since patch 4.1 went live so he had not done either in their current itteration.

Despite the fact that I have logged more hours recently he continues to out gear me, not by a lot, but by enough. He also just does better DPS. Whether that is from years playing the same class faithfully, or just because he kicks ass, doesn't matter. He always has and possibly always will continue to out DPS me for as long as we are both playing the game.

So the other night I get him to log and we hop in the random queue for Zul level heroics. I've still only successfully had one Zul'Aman run and it wasn't a successful timed run.  He had not even read the strats for any of the fights. It was quite the change for me to give him pertinent info, usually I'm getting the info from him. That part was kind of cool.

We had a mega geared death knight tank, and other than having an incredibly chatty mod that let us know every single ability that did or did not land, he was awesome. Then we had a healer and a mage that were hot to trot. They desperately wanted to complete a timed run and even the mage was shouting gogogo to the tank. I find that to be in terribly bad form. It's one thing for a healer to announce they have enough mana for pulls to continue, it's quite another for a DPS class to do everything short of actually start pulling groups themselves. Still, the DK seemed to be handling it okay, or at least he didn't complain in party chat about the two people cracking a whip on his ass that weren't even from his realm.

Things seemed to be going okay; we were downing bosses and not wiping, so I think that's a good run. As we leave the altar of the second boss and we're running down the ramp, I zone out of the instance. My first honest to goodness thought is that something has gone wrong or the tank has left the group and we all got booted for some reason. Then I realize my husband is confused, but not for the same reason I am, and he seems kind of mad. Turns out that I had been vote kicked. This has never happened before, it was a bit startling. I guess I thought maybe it would give you a message through the UI saying that you had been removed from the group by common consensus, not just poof you're out and feeling a little confused.

Watching my husband be pissed off for me was really sweet. I don't know that he has ever had much cause to "defend my honor" so to speak, but he took to it well. Of course the first thing he did was ask why I had been kicked. No one will even answer him until he keeps refusing to let them requeue. The group's first response was to try and kick him also, but of course they couldn't, so finally they had to answer him. The tank said that he had issued a vote kick because he kept getting whispers telling him to. I guess the healer/mage team (or trolls as we can call them) felt that my DPS wasn't high enough. So then my husband gets really mad because although my DPS wasn't top, it really wasn't that much worse than everyone else. And let's be fair here, someone always has to be at the bottom of the list. That's the nature of lists. If I had all the higher level gear and could pull higher DPS I wouldn't need to be queuing for the dungeon would I?

Sorry, I think I've gotten myself off topic a little bit.

Once the trolls see that he's not going to let go they try a new tactic. "Oh I'm sorry was he a friend of yours?" He informs them that actually "She is my wife" then the trolls realize their mistake, but they still seem to think that they can manage salvage the timed run and start asking the leader be passed to him so that he can reinvite me to the group. They are getting a little spaztastic and trying to get the tank to pass the lead and continue to pull at the same time. The tank finally has enough and tells them that if they wanted a timed run they should have gone with a guild group, and he leaves.

Once the tank leaves I give up on rejoining the group, because I don't want to wait through the queue again (we had a 35 minute wait to get a group the first time around). I go ahead and put the trolls on ignore. I honestly would have rejoined even after they kicked me, because I'm used to the game being full of dicks and I want new gear. The lead had been passed to one of the trolls so they give it to my husband and ask him to invite me back. He tells them that he can't because I have them on ignore, and all heck breaks loose. One of the trolls starts calling us both names saying you can't ignore cross-realm and I give my husband the obvious solution of ignoring him and telling him so in party chat. This leaves only the second troll to taunt him.

I can't believe where the last troll went. He/they got so spitting mad that they just could not contain the bile. They accused my husband of not knowing me at all. Then it was that we'd only ever talked on skype, and even that we'd probably met on World of Warcraft*, as if that would be a bad thing. I guess I should be impressed with how quickly the insults were coming, but maybe they were macro'd. My husband was considering a rebuttal when I reminded him not to feed the trolls. It's one thing to sit in the party and not let them continue, it's quite another to give them the satisfaction of learning anything more of our personal lives.

I finally convince my husband to log into WoW for the first time in a long while and all that happens is 35 minutes of archaeology boredom, and two more names on his ignore list. Thank you horrible troll puggers for making it just a little bit harder to convince him to log on next time.

What horrible (or awesome) pug experience have you had lately? How have your queue times been? We were logging on toward the end of the night so our queue may have been longer as a result, or it could be that the potential tanks have finished gearing up already and are tired of the dicks.

*For the record not only did we not meet on WoW, or online at all, I was the one that got him into the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment